Do I have to pay for NHS treatment?

If you fall into any of these categories when a course of treatment starts you will not need to pay for your NHS dental treatment:

  • You are under 18, or are a full-time student under 19.
  • You are expecting a baby, or you have had a baby in the last 12 months.
  • You are named on a Tax Credit NHS Exemption Certificate.
  • You are named on an NHS HC2 certificate for full help with health costs.

Or, you get or are included in an award of someone getting:

  • Income Support,
  • Universal Credit (during the period April 2013 – March 2014),
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (contribution based JSA does not entitle you to help with health costs),
  • Income-related Employment & Support Allowance (contribution based ESA does not entitle you to help with health costs), or
  • Pension Credit Guarantee Credit, (Pension Credit savings credit on its own does not entitle you to help with health costs).
  • Other benefits such as Incapacity benefit, Personal Independence Payment, Armed Forces Independence Payment or Disability Living Allowance don’t entitle you to help with health costs because they are not income related.

Dental examinations are free in Wales if:

  • You are under 25 years of age or
  • You are aged 60 or over.
    Any subsequent treatment as a result of the free examination carries the appropriate charge.